• VA Worker Permits 
    Employment (Work) permits are no longer handled by the school. If you would like an Employment (Work) Permit please visit this site: http://www.doli.virginia.gov.
    Direct Link to Employment Certificate page:  
    Child Labor Law
    At what age can a minor child work?
    Generally, 14 years of age.
    What are the primary requirements for minors who work?
    • Minors must be 14 to work in most jobs.
    • Minors 14 and 15:
    • must have an employment certificate,
    • have limited hours they can work, and
    • cannot work in certain jobs.
    Does a minor child need an employment certificate prior to beginning work?
    Yes, minors under the age of 16 must obtain an employment certificate prior to their first day of employment.
    Employment Certificate Application Instructions

     The first phase of the electronic conversion allows employers and parents to electronically access, complete, and download forms required for the issuance of an employment certificate and is effective September 9, 2013. The application for an employment certificate requires submission of two documents; a Permission for Employment form and an Employer Intent to Employ form to the Labor and Employment Law Division 
    The Permission for Employment form must be completed by the youth’s parent, guardian, or custodian and signed before a Notary Public.  A notary is required by law to affix a seal or stamp on every document he or she notarizes.  The stamp or seal is required to be sharp, legible, permanent, and photographically reproducible.  Many banks provide notary public services.  Only complete forms can be accepted for processing.  
    The Intent to Employ form must be completed by the employer. The youth must furnish a copy of an acceptable evidence of age document.  The employer must retain and certify to the Labor and Employment Law Division the legal age for employment. The Code of Virginia §40.1-94 establishes the following as legal evidence of age documents:

    1. A birth certificate
    2. An attested transcript issued by a registrar of vital statistics or other officer charged with the duty of recording births 
    3. A baptismal record or duly certified transcript thereof showing the date of birth and place of baptism of the child
    4. Other documentary proof of age specified by the Commissioner which includes any government issued identification card such as a passport, DMV identification card, or military identification card.

    Only complete forms can be accepted for processing.

    After completion by the appropriate parties the forms should be mailed to:

    Department of Labor & Industry
    Child Labor Unit
    1570 E. Parham Rd.
    Richmond, VA 23228-2360

    The youth may not begin employment until the employment certificate is issued.  Upon approval the employment certificate will be mailed directly to the employer.  Please allow seven to ten business days processing time.  Please be advised that incomplete forms will delay the issuance of an employment certificate.

    Permission to Employ Form: Click here 
    Employer Intent to Employ Form: Click here 
Last Modified on November 10, 2021