Student Absentee & Tardy Policy
Lee High School’s attendance policy was developed to emphasize consistency and promote student attendance. Regular attendance is necessary for maximum school achievement, development of positive work habits, and development of responsibility needed for the transition from school to the work force.
Punctuality and dependability are valued habits in our society. Therefore, students need to be accountable for attending school every day and arriving at school, and all classes, on time. We believe that regular attendance increases students’ opportunity for success.Tardy to School:Students arriving after the start of the first block (7:50 am) must report directly to the main office and sign in. Tardies will be marked “excused” or “unexcused” using the same criteria as absences from school. Classroom teachers will contact parents for the 2nd and 3rd unexcused tardy and stress the importance of being in class on time to maximize instructional time and provide ample opportunities for success. Teachers will document the calls. Students who have an excessive number of unexcused late arrivals or tardies to class will be disciplined as follows:
- 2nd unexcused tardy per semester: Parent contacted by teacher
- 3rd unexcused tardy per semester: Parent contacted by teacher
- 4th unexcused tardy per semester: Parent contacted and one lunch detention
- 5th unexcused tardy per semester: Parent contacted and one after school detention
- 6th unexcused tardy per semester: Parent contacted and loss of exam exemption
- 7th unexcused tardy per semester: Parent contacted and one day of in-school suspension
- 8th unexcused tardy per semester: Parent contacted and one day of in-school suspension and student is in Poor School Standing for that day
- 9th unexcused tardy per semester: POOR SCHOOL STANDING. Students will lose all extra-curricular and driving privileges for the remainder of the semester
- When a student has 10 or more unexcused tardy the consequence will be at the discretion of the administrator
Unexcused Tardy to Class:Students are expected to be in school and in every class on time. Students 45 minutes late to class will be counted as absent. Tardies to school and tardies to class will follow the same procedures and bear the same consequences.
Absences:Students returning to school after being absent must report to the front office with a note from a parent stating a reason for the absence. Students will not be allowed to enter classes without a pass. All school absences will be under the guidelines set forth in Staunton City School Policy JED and JED-AR and the Staunton City Schools Student Handbook & Code of Conduct (p. 6 & 7). Additionally, when a student reaches 8 unexcused absences he or she will be placed in Poor School Standing and will lose all extra-curricular and driving privileges for the remainder of the semester.