Formation of SCS Equity Committee
To accomplish this goal, Staunton City Schools is forming an Equity Committee that will help develop the school division’s first-ever equity plan. The Equity Committee will be a permanent advisory committee to the superintendent. Members of the committee will serve a one-year term and may be considered for reappointment to the committee at the end of their term if interested.
The Equity Committee will be composed of:
- 20 members – 10 from the SCS community and 10 from the Staunton community at large;
- a diverse group of members of different philosophies, ethnicities and races; and
- SCS students, alumni, teachers, parents or guardians of SCS students and Staunton citizens.
The Virginia Center for Inclusive Communities (VCIC) will guide the committee in forming an equity plan and assist with identifying and ranking priorities related to equity. Specifically, the group will focus on ensuring equitable practices in the school division’s curriculum and instruction, student and parent experiences, school policies and procedures, and the recruitment and retention of a diverse workforce.
Once the School Board approves an equity plan, the leaders of SCS will implement the plan.
How to Join
You may apply online between October 15, 2020 and 5 p.m., November 6, 2020. Applications are open to individuals living in the city of Staunton. Applications will be accepted through Nov. 6, 2020.
A selection panel composed of three Staunton citizens and two SCS staff members will use a rubric to review applications and evaluate applicant qualifications. The panel's goal is to select committee members of various backgrounds, beliefs and experiences to help create an equity plan for the School Board’s review and approval by the spring of 2021.
Qualified applicants must:
- have a genuine interest in issues of educational equity;
- bring significant knowledge of the Staunton community;
- commit to serving a one-year term;
- commit to the attendance of monthly meetings (virtually to start); and
- commit to being active contributors to the development of an equity plan for Staunton City Schools.
Timeline & Meeting Schedule
The Equity Committee will meet over five months to develop an equity plan for the superintendent to review and submit to the School Board. The timeline for forming the committee and developing a plan is as follows:
- October 15 – November 6: Applications accepted online
- Week of November 9: Selection panel reviews applications, selects Equity Committee members and submits list to superintendent
- Week of November 16: Equity Committee members appointed by superintendent
- December 2020 – May 2021: Equity Committee meets monthly in a virtual setting with VCIC to develop an equity plan. Monthly meeting dates are to be determined.
- June 2021: Superintendent submits completed equity plan to the School Board for consideration and adoption