Dual Enrollment Information
Get a head start on your college education!
Dual Enrollment programs provide high school students a unique opportunity to jump-start their college career and we are happy to be working with Blue Ridge Community College to offer these classes to our students.Who is Eligible for Dual Enrollment Programs?
Students must apply to take Dual enrollment through Lee High School and Blue Ridge Community College. All Courses are college courses. Students should understand that the amount of work necessary to succeed in dual enrollment courses is greater than in high school courses. In addition, dual enrollment courses become a part of a student's permanent college transcript. It is important to do well in these courses to realize all the benefits of dual enrollment. Student must meet the following criteria to be eligible for dual enrollment programs:
- Students must have a GPA of 3.0 to be recommended by Lee High School for Dual Enrollment classes.
- High school juniors or seniors attending a public or private school are eligible to enroll in dual enrollment courses.
- All dual enrollment students, both academic and career and technical, must meet college placement requirements.
- Students must complete both the Lee High Dual Enrollment Application and the Blue Ridge Community College Application and receive a recommendation of high school official. These applications may be found on our website or in the Lee High Couseling office.
- Parents must provide consent prior to student enrollment.
- Students are responsible for all fees associated with the classes.
The deadline for registering and meeting the application requirements for Dual Enrollment Classes for the 2012-2013 School year is May 14th. Students that have not completed these requriements will be removed from the class roles and will need to register for a different class.
DUAL ENROLLMENT QUICK NOTES:
Students requesting DE classes should meet honors requirements and must have a minimum GPA of 3.0.
· Complete a Lee High application with teacher recommendation, signatures and supporting evidence and turn into your school counselor.
· Complete the BRCC application online at: https://apply.vccs.edu/oa/launch.action
If you have been enrolled in another course at BRCC in the past, you will not need to complete another application. Parents need to complete the application for in-state tuition. Complete the application by May 14th
- If your class requires a test (Math or English classes) Go to BRCC to the Learning Assistance Center located in the Library on the second floor of Houff Student Center. Tests are given on a walk-in basis. You will need a photo id, your emplid number (which you will receive at the end of your application), and a social security number. Normal hours are: Monday-Thursday 9 AM-6 PM, and Friday 9 AM-1 PM. Call ahead for special hours around holidays. 213-7002 x2287
DRIVING DIRECTIONS: The Weyers Cave Campus is located halfway between Harrisonburg and Staunton on Interstate 81. Take Exit 235 off Interstate 81. Turn west at the top of the exit ramp (Route 256). In a very short distance, Route 256 terminates in a junction with U.S. Route 11. Turn left (South) on U.S. Route 11. BRCC Weyers Cave Campus is about a half-mile on the left. Enter at the South entrance and park in the second parking lot on the left. The Houff Center is next to this lot.
- Before you take the Placement test, PRACTICE at:
- Bring your test results to your school counselor after you complete the placement test.
- If you do not test into English or the Calculus (Math 173) or Pre-calculus (Math 163) on the first try, you can see an advisor at BRCC and ask permission to re-test. RELee High School cannot give permission for this; it must be obtained through BRCC. You will have to pay a fee.
School Counselors will be making schedule changes as needed- feel free to contact them, as well.
- CONTACT NUMBERS:
Mrs. Carla Vandevender Robert E. Lee High School 332-3926 ext. 4317 BRCC, Admissions, 213-7002 ext. 2287 BRCC, Learning Assessment Center, 213-7002 ext. 2287
Ms. Valerie Payne- Students with last names A-Ha
Mr. Mark Rexrode - Students with last names He-M
Mr. Lawrence Chiles- Students with last names N-Z