Posted by Staunton City Schools on 4/11/2020
Salvation Army Blessing Bags
For those who are in need, the Salvation Army has prepared “blessing bags” that are either filled with food, toiletries or baby items. The Salvation Army regularly provides toiletries, food, clothes, utility and rental assistance for those in need. To find out more, call 540.885.8157.
Many thanks to the ARROW Project for compiling a list of counseling options in our area.
Remember, if you or anyone in your family is experiencing a mental health crisis, please call:
Valley Community Services Board Emergency Services 540.885.0866 or Toll Free: 886.274.7475.
National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1.800.273.8255.
SAMHSA’s National Helpline: 1-800-662-HELP (4357), (also known as the Treatment Referral Routing Service) or TTY: 1-800-487-4889 is a confidential, free, 24-hour-a-day, 365-day-a-year, information service, in English and Spanish, for individuals and family members facing mental and/or substance use disorders. This service provides referrals to local treatment facilities, support groups, and community-based organizations. Callers can also order free publications and other information.
Suggested Podcasts and Apps to Support Mental Well-Being
Looking for some apps to support mindfulness, meditation and resilience? Here are a few to get you started.
Just for kids:
Virginia Department of Education News
VA TV Classroom
The Virginia Department of Education and four Virginia public media stations will broadcast teacher-led classroom instruction aligned with Virginia’s academic standards into homes across the Commonwealth.
“VA TV Classroom” will air K-10th grade instructional content from 1-3 PM, Monday through Friday, beginning Monday, April 13, 2020.
The “VA TV Classroom” on-air schedule is as follows:
- K-3 instruction airs from 1-2 p.m. with Standards of Learning-aligned content provided by WHRO Public Media. “Learn to Grow with WHRO” segments will be 15 minutes in length and led by teachers.
- Grades 7-10 instruction airs from 2-3 p.m. with SOL-aligned content provided by WHRO Public Media focusing on Earth Science and Algebra 1.
- During the week of April 27, “VA TV Classroom” will add a special hour from 3-4 p.m. called “AP Prep Week,” with content provided by Virtual Virginia — in collaboration with WHRO — focusing on a different AP subject each day. The hour will include two 30-minute segments.
In our area, “VA TV Classroom” can be seen on the following channels:
WHRO – WHRO World: via antenna 15.2, Cox 107 and Verizon FiOS 460
VPM – VPM Plus
- Charlottesville area: via antenna 41.2, Comcast 265 (HD) and 1146 (HD)
- Shenandoah Valley: via antenna 51.2, Comcast 9, 798 (HD) and 1042 (HD)
- WETA – WETA PBS Kids: via antenna 26.3, Comcast 266, Cox 801, Verizon FiOS 472 and RCN 38